J. Jordan Bruns was born in Cincinnati, Ohio (1982). In 2004, he received a B.F.A in Painting as well as Illustration at Maryland Institute College of Art, and received his M.F.A. in Painting at Indiana University in 2007. Apart from his current body of work, he is an accomplished landscape painter, spending 8 months living out of his car painting North America. His current work focuses on balance; most specifically order vs chaos and what he describes as abstract surrealism. The imagery is driven by his love of materials and largely from his personal experiences. His exhibitions have been viewed across the United States from a solo show in the Indiana University Art Museum to SCOPE Miami during art Basel. He is represented by Long View Gallery in Washington DC and in 2011 he was a finalist for the Bethesda Painting Award. Currently, he is the Manager of The Yellow Barn Studio and Gallery, the resident artist in the Chautauqua Tower 2nd and 3rd floors in Glen Echo Park.
Download Jordan’s Resume – PDF
My work is about balance: how opposite or contrary forces complement each other and become awe-inspiring and beautiful. At times, these forces remain independent of one another but more frequently they become intertwined, indistinguishable, and connected. For me, this balance begins in the creation process by layering non-controllable paint applications like pouring and dripping with more controllable techniques such as using hand cut stencils or classical oil applications. Balance is also mirrored in the mediums used to create my paintings. Shellac, polyurethane, and spray paint create chaos; while acrylic, ink, and oil paint create order. As the painting creation progresses and a dialog between the painting and myself is established, I coax (but not dictate) the imagery to communicate dualities of triumph vs. tragedy, light vs. darkness, and most importantly order vs. chaos.
Awards and Recognition
- 2014- Featured Artist, Studio Visit Magazine
- 2014- Individual Artist Grant, from Montgomery County
- 2013- Winner (DC Region), Bombay Sapphire Artisan Series, Washington, DC
- 2012- Regional Finalist, Bombay Sapphire Artisan Series, Washington, DC
- 2011- Bethesda Painting Semifinalist
- 2010- Individual Artist Grant, from Montgomery County
- 2009- Trawick Semifinalist
- 2008- Artist in Residence, Glen Echo Park, Glen Echo Maryland
- 2008- Group Four Award, Foundry Art Center, St. Charles, MO
- 2007- Bruns, Jordan “New Painting”, Creative Quarterly No7.
- 2003- Merit Award, Juried Undergraduate Show, Maryland Institute College of Art
- 2001-03- Achievement Award, Maryland Institute College of Art
- 2000-04- Trustee Award, Maryland Institute College of Art
WAMU Broadcast: December 9, 2011
Read the interview and listen to the podcast about Jordan’s Triumph over Cushing’s Disease.